Re: Gyotaku

---------

KSchiavo00_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 14:42:04 PDT

In a message dated 09/08/2001 12:56:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Hodnettac@aol.com writes:

> Does anyone know any tips for Gyotaku fish printing? I am a student teacher
> and I am going to do a lesson regarding multiculturalism. Does anyone have
> any fun and creative ideas for Gyotaku? Also, any suggestions on the type
> of
> paint or application?

Tip- Have MAJOR ventalation if you are using real fish. I used very fresh
"Buffalo" fish -12 to 15" fish for a parent open house during my student
teaching. Kept them on ICE for about an hour and a half from the time I
picked them up and the time we began the project. To make a long story
short, after about an hour into open house, the gym began to reak- the
administration thought the toilets were backing up! I used lemon/water
solution to clean the tempra paint off the fish but it obviously did not
neutralize the odor enough. I happened to do this project before- but we
were outside (I guess that made a difference). I also had 5 stations going
on at the same time with the older students helping the younger ones clean
their fish.
       I used "baby scale" paper (the absorbant paper pediatricians use on
the scales when they weigh infants/todlers). This paper is WONDERFUL for
these prints and your local doctor may even donate it if your lucky. But if
not, I have used rice paper before which works pretty good.
       I have been at the secondary level for 6 years now- and you have made
me smile with this memory- Thanks!
Kathy in Kalamazoo

---