Re: Brayers - Printmaking

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 16:31:27 PDT

Sherry wrote:

> Hi Art Gurus!!
> I bought 30 brayers from Nasco for printmaking.... they are the hard
> rubber ones that are black with the tear drop wire handle....well half
> of them won't roll once we get the ink on them!! Instead they Slide!! so
> inking them up correctly is next to impossible!! Is there any way of
> fixing this problem??? Some of them are hard to roll even with your
> fingers!! Is there a better brayer I can buy that will 100% work when we
> get them???? Please let me know :)

Sherry,

I like the soft rubber brayers from Speedball. Even those will slide
around in the ink if they are not rolled vigorously (some students are
"too lazy" to put much energy into it). They have to confine the ink to
a relatively small area (maybe 6-8") so the ink doesn't get too thin.
Once it begins to make the "kiss" it is the proper consistency for
rolling on the block.

Maggie

---