Re: Help! Art on a Cart problems!

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 14:56:32 PDT

After 8 years on a cart, here are my thoughts on the subject. I did some
creative <snip>:

> Re. teacher banishing kids from art for disciplinary
> reasons:
    I will allow this only once, and only if the student has been a
discipline problem for me as well. I will tell the teacher that the student
will fall behind in my class and there is no other time for him/her to catch
up.

> Re. resource room pulling kids out:
    Kansas state law says all elementary age students will receive 40 min.
of art per week. I use this ALOT!

> Re. class discipline methods:
    I agree with previous comments about politely stating you have your own
methods that work for you.

You will have to remain firm. You might try the sneaky approach: do some
"gossip" - mention to the offending teacher what dastardly deeds other
teachers are committing and how it is affecting your program. Obviously you
can not use names, but hopefully the offending teacher will not want to
become one of "those" teachers and watch his/her behavior. Is this only one
teacher, or several? Do the other specials have these problems? I had
problems last year with special ed keeping my students appx. 1/2 of my art
class. I just got to the point where I walked into the special ed room right
before my class and told little johnny it was time for art and to hurry and
clean up. Good luck and I hope things get better! :-)
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

---