Re: Quotes

---------

From: Annie & Peter Blood-Patterson (bloodpat_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 08:34:26 PDT

Thank you, Sarah, and to EVERYONE else for your fantastic websites and
quotes! I am so excited to have this great support. thank you thank you.
Eventually, I would love to put together an art room website, but I think I
will wait til I get my feet a little more firmly planted. Thanks again, the
rest of this is dialogue/chit chat about my first day of teaching. Bye for
now for those of you who need to go - Annie

My first day went really well. We did our self portraits as an animal. I
took a couple animalia books off the library shelf and talked about drawing
animals but adding one or two human features. I had cut out pictures of
animals from magazines. Kids got into it, although there were two kids who
said they didn't want to do their self portraits because they were ugly. I
was amazed at this but I handled it well and those kids ended up doing a
great job. (definately note to self about those two) I only had one kid who
sat with a blank piece of paper for the first 5 minutes. He ended up doing
a picture of a pokemon. Oh well. My thoughts was that at least he put
something down on the paper. And this was only after we talked about what
was in his head. He apparently thought what he wanted to draw was too
difficult. I told him that I would rather have him put anything on the
paper even if he thought it was a mistake than leave it blank. In the end
he was proud of what he did, I think. I seem to have quite a few
perfectionists who are afraid they'll "get it wrong." Thoughts on working
on this are very welcome!

I implemented a new clean up assignment program that made the 5minutes
between classes go so smoothly! I assigned 2 kids each to three different
clean-up areas and had 2 "inspectors" do "beauty and order". This list will
rotate each week. The kids knew right where the broom was and seemed to
take this on really well. 2nd grade was at the end of the day and they
had the hardest time keeping their energy focused, but I still feel the day
was a success. I wish I was seeing them more than once a week! Arrgh. -A