In a message dated 9/6/01 8:17:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> For starters, would something have to be put on the clay to allow it to
> release from the plaster?
> I remember the plaster being at least 2" thick. Does anyone know what it
> really should be to produce a firm mold and how long it needs to set?
> Before pouring anything into the mold, would IT have to be coated with
> something to keep the concrete/whatever from sticking too badly?
I did this years ago with HS. We used vaseline as a mold release. 2" thick
sounds about right if the heads are life sized. A little less if smaller. I
was also taugth in college to dye the first layer of plaster blue ( I've
forgotten with what) so that if part of the mold does not release and you
have to chip it away you know when to be very careful. There are lots of
different casting stones available look in Sax and Nasco.