Re: Planning time / Block

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 19:58:40 PDT

When a Block is not a Block:

Jerry Vilenski wrote:

> I teach at the elementary level, and we have the day divided into 40 minute blocks.

40 minutes is a block of time but hardly a block schedule.

> At secondary level, I would welcome 90 minute classes. Problem is, only classes like ours, lab-type > classes such as shop, chemistry, art, music, drama, dance, etc., would really benifit from the extra > uninterrupted time. I would suggest that creeping through a 90 minute geography class would be > sheer hell for both the teacher and the student! I personally know several teachers that can
> barely hold a 50 minute class together, let alone a 90 minute class!

Teachers need training to learn to teach differently, if they just do
more of the same
but do it longer it will just be a longer bore.

Just my opinion, I teach 42 minute classes. If we go to a block schedule
I hope
we get a year to prepare for it properly.
                                                                Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com