Re: welcome back guys/ value study

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 19:32:45 PDT

Hi Jackie,

    If any of your students are in photography, ask them to shoot a roll of
B & W film with lots of samples of values. Then you cut them up into
sections that include a good range of values per section. Adhere a section
to the middle of a piece of paper for each student (I use manila). On an
edge of the paper divide the paper into value scale sections--white to black
through the grays. My students use acrylic paints. Doing the value scale
first helps them to see values. The students are to extend and match the
images and values that they see in the photo, then seemlessly begin to add
their own. The effect starts to look surrealistic. Black and white images
from magazines work well as a starting point in value studies, too. I have
done this successfuly with fifth graders.

            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
            Back to school since Augutst 21

> I am in search of some really unique ways to approach value study in
> drawing for Art I. I have the regular value charts, etc. Any great
> lessons out there that have been successful for you. I make the mistake
> almost every year of doing too much on their work.
>
> Jackie Aust

---