Re: H.S. no supplies help

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilensk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 18:32:13 PDT

As far as no supplies goes, I've been in similar circumstances in my career. One source of free paper I have found is with printing companies--they frequently have runs of unique sizes (for corporate calendars, for instance) that will never be used again that they may be willing to get rid of. I find those type of
companies are usually crying for someone to show up and ask. The paper is of high quality . Another source of free materials is your local framing shop, which usually will give you free scrap matboard and fomecore that you can use for sculptures or backings for projects. I was at my local glass shop one day and noticed a
large bin of mirror scraps, waiting to be thrown out. They not only donated them, they sanded the edges for me and broke them into approximate sizes to boot! I used them for paper mache mirrors. A local costume shop gives me high quality fake fur scraps, all I can take, that I use for a fuzzy monster project I developed
around them. I am teaching a workshop on fuzzy monsters at our state conference this fall. I am blessed with several paper mills in my area, who regularly donate paper overruns or surplus to the schools. University printing services very often get donated papers, but aren't able to use them for various reasons--send a
truck! Don't forget paper mache--art paste is cheap, and office scrap and toilet paper (borrowed from your janitor's closet) makes inexpensive projects. Paint them with flub-up paint donated from your hardware store or paint store. In short, get a pickup and head out to the shopping districts and print shops and see what
you can get. They can only say no, and you may score some great stuff! Hope this helps.

Jerry

---