Re: Jr. High advice needed

---------

From: Heather Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 16:46:45 PDT

I have found that most of my Middle school kids never had elementary art
from a real art teacher, or it was so infrequent that they never have
had the basics. If I don't teach the basics they will never get it,
because if they don't gain some confidence and skills in my room they
will never sign up for art in high school. We do lots of observational
drawing, color theory (including how to make colors because an awful lot
of them don't know yellow and blue makes green, etc.) and go as far as
we can. I have found when you do show them how to do things they can do
wonderful work. We make viewfinders that they use with sketches to find
compositions that will fill the final paper and we just keep working
till they get it more and more.
Heather

---