critique worksheet -HS

---------

From: Deb Mortl (dmortl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 19:53:46 PDT

Hi -
Here is the critique worksheet I give my painting students - we talked about
this ages ago and I got a lot of requests for a copy. I tired to send it to
the yahoo list but it didn't work. I'm glad the getty is running again.
ANyway, what I do is go over the questions while showing a slide, and I have
the students elaborate on each question by asking "Why?" after every
response - then they do this when they are writing their paper too. It
helps them think more about the piece - instead of just saying "It's
horizontal" they have to decide why the artist painted it like that, etc. I
have them write conversationally, as if they were discussing the painting
with someone. Most papers end up around 3-4 pages typed.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Deb