thoughts about Bev Doolittle....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 18:26:51 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>> Judy Decker wrote:
>> Naturally, I was curious about the work of Bev Doolittle - for now, I have
>> added several links to her work at the bottom of my Surreal lesson
>> (http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/surreal.htm ).... This is what I have
>> wanted my students to do with their compositions the past two years (hide
>> things with in) -- but I haven't been able to get the idea across as well
>> as I would have liked-- Bev will help me out now.
*******************************

Judy...and anyone else interested in Bev Doolittle (who is one of my
personal-favorite artists).

I checked out your links to see what you had found. I was frustrated with
many of the links because more than a few images are just 1/2 of the
painting. It's really hard to understand the meaning and the work comparing
it with the title of the image when you can't even see what it is referring
to...all the image is not even "there". Just one example among
many..."Sacred Ground" shows a man on horseback apparently running from
something but you don't see the other 1/2 of the picture to see what he's
running from which explains the reson for the title. This is VERY MUCH
missing the point and deletes the wonder-ment of her painting.

Also...sometimes you have to look really closely to see all the hidden
images in her work and the internet leaves alot to be desired if you want to
focus in on the detail which one must do.

If this is your main exposure to her work, forget it and do yourself a favor
and go out and buy one of her books (or go to the library). There is a
fantastic one that costs about $80-$65 called "The Art of Bev
Doolittle"...ISBN# 0-553-07009-6. It has all of her best works and most
interesting ones. I would strongly recommend this one. It also shows how she
sets up her paintings and personal history with photos. If that's out of
your price range, there is another one that is less expensive, more concise
but missing some of her really neat ones that are my personal favorites, and
cost around $15 and is called "Bev Doolittle...The Forest Has Eyes"...ISBN#
0-86713-055-5. There is also a calendar of her work but even those aren't
her best works...IMHO.

Just wanted you to know that those Doolittle images on those websites do NOT
do any justice to her work and show only partial parts of her paintings. The
prices of her limited edition prints continue to skyrocket and look like
good investments if you're thinking about buying some art.

From a real Doolittle fan (who wants an edition print so bad she can almost
taste it).....Toodles.....Bunki

---