Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: plan time / Block Schedules

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 18:26:37 PDT

"Berg, Renee" wrote:
> Louise, I love block scheduling. If you think about it, the 6th graders come
> from a classroom so they are already used to the larger time block in one
> room. I split up the 90 min. I start with a sketch or critical thinking
> activity, that they do this with no talking for 15 min. Next, we go into
> review or introducing a unit, then they work or do activities in groups or
> pairs. They clean-up and review the last 10 min. The 90 min. goes fast. We
> get more in-depth.

        I am not on block but have always wanted it. I am glad to hear someone
articulate how to teach differently with more time. With block you can
have a real introduction and demonstration, time to work and clean up and
also have time for closure. I end my classes now by taking tools out of students
hands so they will stop working. I have 42 minute classes in Middle School.
                                                                        Woody in KC

                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on
 my watercolors are at