scheduling

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 17:18:15 PDT

In SC, where I teach the scheduling is done by the principal. I teach
k-5 and I have 6 classes of 45 minutes each day. Special area teachers
have early duty on the same rotation as other teachers which is about
once a month. We do not have any kind of lunch duty and after school
special areas have outside car duty for about 20 minutes. My classes
start at 8:30 so I have from 7:45 until then each day for planning and
45 minutes of lunch/planning. All grade levels have their activity time
at the same time so they can have their plannning together (one 3rd goes
to music, one goes to library, one goes to art, etc..)Nice for them but
that means I teach all 6 grade levels everyday, a different level each
45 minutes with only 5 minutes to get ready for the next class. In a
straange quirk of fate my contract was increased this year to .8 I was
teaching .7 which was 3 1/2 days. We had a new wing added to our school
and the principal anticipated more teachers being added to reduce class
size. The district said no new teachers could be added because of a
budget crunch but still increased my time. So on Thursdays I only have 2
45 minute classes and the rest of the day free. And they haven't thrown
any extra work on me yet!
       Jeryl in SC

---