Re: drawing curriculum

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 16:59:54 PDT

In a message dated 09/05/2001 4:18:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Mbhirst@aol.com writes:

> Do any of you have a one semester, high school, drawing curriculum that you
> would share? What is your focus? Do you think "finished" drawings are
> important? How much technique do you teach?

I would use a sketch book as a semester long assignment with certain assigned
topics and guided drawings as well as freeform things.

Basic forms and the 5 principles of shading.
Simple still life set up to draw in graphite.
Colored pencil work to show layering and color blending.
Perspective drawing or one that requires the illusion of depth.
Craypas drawing to look like impressionism.
Pen and ink techniques and the use of a still life for a drawing.
Pastel on toned paper to show how a middle value can excite the lighter
colors.

I focus on techniques and drawing from life as well as art history when you
can.
I like a finished work for them to take away with them and I believe that
studies and preliminary sketches are very valuable as well.

These are just a few to think about,

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA

---