Re: drawing curriculum

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 16:59:03 PDT

While I don't teach a specific drawing course in high school, we have
specific drawing objectives for our Art I and Art II courses as well as
including art history, painting/color theory, printmaking, 3-d design, and
other media. We have a huge emphasis on drawing from observation and
utilizing their sketchbooks.

Art I- We begin with Betty Edward's approach to drawing from the right side
of the brain (up-side down drawing, blind contour, semi-blind contour still
life, negative space drawings) and work our way through 1 and 2 pt.
perspective drawing. Short intro to drawing the figure.

Art II- Drawing from a live figure for several weeks (gesture, contour,
value studies, proportion studies, skeletal studies, etc.) and continued
focus on drawing from observation.

Michelle H. Harrell
http://harrell.srhs.net
michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com
Southeast Raleigh High School
Center for Accelerated Studies
Raleigh, North Carolina

Marcia in IL asked "Do any of you have a one semester, high school, drawing
curriculum that you would share? What is your focus? Do you think "finished"
drawings are important? How much technique do you teach?"