Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: drawing curriculum

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 16:59:03 PDT

While I don't teach a specific drawing course in high school, we have
specific drawing objectives for our Art I and Art II courses as well as
including art history, painting/color theory, printmaking, 3-d design, and
other media. We have a huge emphasis on drawing from observation and
utilizing their sketchbooks.

Art I- We begin with Betty Edward's approach to drawing from the right side
of the brain (up-side down drawing, blind contour, semi-blind contour still
life, negative space drawings) and work our way through 1 and 2 pt.
perspective drawing. Short intro to drawing the figure.

Art II- Drawing from a live figure for several weeks (gesture, contour,
value studies, proportion studies, skeletal studies, etc.) and continued
focus on drawing from observation.

Michelle H. Harrell
Southeast Raleigh High School
Center for Accelerated Studies
Raleigh, North Carolina

Marcia in IL asked "Do any of you have a one semester, high school, drawing
curriculum that you would share? What is your focus? Do you think "finished"
drawings are important? How much technique do you teach?"