Re: HS - no supplies help

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 15:53:36 PDT

I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. There is no way I would
spend that kind of money buying supplies for my students, nor would I go to
those lengths to obtain supplies. I would not enable the school to treat my
department with the flagrant disrespect by not purchasing needed supplies.
These are the options I would take: 1) write up an extensive student supply
list of what students would need to purchase in order to do the projects in
my class - then I would take it to my administrator for approval. Put it on
his/her shoulders to either finance the class or have the students do it. 2)
I would go in and ask for a course description and then ask how I am
supposed to teach that with no supplies. 3) Talk to parents that you
know/trust. One or 2 outraged parents can make all the difference in the
world.

Now, I do spend my own money on my classroom, but it is usually for simple
stuff that is easier for me to pick up than write out a PO and order.
~Michal poppin in with my 2cents

> I have to say, I would be out there spending my own money. I know most of
you won't agree with that...but, there is no way I would start the year
without paper. If your school district or town has a print shop, talk with
them. Also perhaps kinko's or an art shop would donate some supplies.
Also..check with the United Way....also, if your town has an arts council,
or any state grants that are available. Check with wall paper shops for
sample books.

---