Re: A lesson on physical disabilities

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 15:33:42 PDT

I have an idea for an experience for the kids- you might have then tape (or
imaginary glue) their thumb to the side of their hand. then have them try any
task that would normally require an opposable thumb (maybe a drawing, or maybe
a painting where they have to open paint containers.) This might simulate the
experience of having an orthopedic disability- or at least give the experience
of having to come up with new ways of doing things when you encounter a
physical limitation. Matisse would be another example artist who developed a
disability but continued to work.

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>Hi folks,
> My student teacher is developing a lesson plan to give el. students the
>experience of working with a physical disability---such as working
>blindfolded or using the less preferred hand to draw.
> We have also discussed together artist such as Chuck Close who had a
>learning disability in school and now works from his wheelchair.
> I think this is a terrific idea and am calling upon your vast
>experience. Any ideas with a lesson of this kind? Thank you!
>
>Anne C-H in Illinois

---