Re: plan time

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 16:16:04 PDT

    In my district the special area teachers (Art, Music, PE) at the
elementary level get whatever time is left over after our classes are
scheduled. So planning time can change from year to year depending on the
number of classrooms we serve. Travelling teachers do not rate any planning
time. Also, the school counts the 5 minutes or so between classes into the
total number of minutes we may have for planning and prep. It looks good on
paper that we have x number of minutes, but we are really denied quality
uninterrupted blocks of time. The classroom teachers have guaranteed mutual
planning time per grade level; special area teachers do not.

                    Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

> This thread has brought to my attention how different states,
> administrations have alloted for plan time. I thought it might me
> interesting to see just what this is for each of
> us. For example, we are allotted 200 min per week in my district in
> Indiana.
> Some other schools, on this list, I have read at 240. I would like to
> read more about each persons allotted plan time, as I feel this is
> critical to a quality program- especially in art. Anyone else want to
> contribute? Betsy

---