Re: 5th grade problems..any solutions?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
rwilkin
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:33:18 +0500

I think there is a difference between making learning interesting and
trying to entertain students. But even challenging lessons can fall
flat in a classroom where the teacher is not in control.
Reatha
From: gregjuli
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:18:35 -0500
To: Kathy Tickner <ktickner.us>
Cc: "'Stephanie Ignazio'" <smi>,
artsed <artsednet.edu>
Subject: Re: 5th grade problems..any solutions?

hi all.
I think Kathy has some real good points , but I don't agree that you can't cure
them with an interesting lesson. This reminds me of a student I had last year
where he was a big pain. Nothing seemed to work, very negative, a real kid of
the streets. But my student teacher found something that he felt very
successful about and it turned him around completely. It was hard to believe.
And the project was weaving , which really surprised me.
It isn't just this one instant that makes me feel this way , but from other
lessons that I have found have calmed the savage beast... sort of speak. Does
it work all the time? Definitely not, but you never know what you might latch
on to that will work.
MaryB

Kathy Tickner wrote:

> Stephanie,
> I think bringing in something "special" like a 3-d project, is rewarding
> them for bad behavior and negative attitudes. I have been an art teacher for
> k-8 for twelve years, and it doesn't matter what age, bad attitudes cannot
> be "cured" by providing more expensive, enthralling, creative art projects.
> That just gives them license to be more destructive, hence heightening your
> frustration. First and foremost your students need to realize that
> controlled behavior is of utmost importance, not their perception of what
> the art room should be! The art experience becomes fun, because students
> have developed intrinsic self-control, not teacher-led control through
> "entertainment and pizazz!" I would keep your projects simple, but
> interesting, using positive reinforcement through the "caught being good
> system" Lots, and Lots of positive comments about kids with the good
> behavior, and don't hesitate for a minute to quietly whisper into the kids
> with the bad behavior that they will be doing some "time" with you during
> their lunch or recess. Whispering in their ear is very powerful, because it
> gets the point across, without making the other kids feel intimidated, plus
> no kid that I have ever met likes when a teacher gets that close....it
> violates their "space" and looks uncool!
> I hope you think of something without increasing your frustration and
> workload.
> Kathy Tickner
> Byron School District (near Bay Area, CA)

Reatha Wilkins
Fine Arts Dept.
Carolina Forest Education Center
High School