RE: 5th grade problems..any solutions?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
rwilkin
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:30:24 +0500

I just want to say amen, amen, amen.................
Reatha

From: Kathy Tickner <ktickner.us>
To: "'Stephanie Ignazio'" <smi>,
artsed
<artsednet.edu>
Subject: RE: 5th grade problems..any solutions?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:56:43 -0700

Stephanie,
I think bringing in something "special" like a 3-d project, is rewarding
them for bad behavior and negative attitudes. I have been an art teacher for
k-8 for twelve years, and it doesn't matter what age, bad attitudes cannot
be "cured" by providing more expensive, enthralling, creative art projects.
That just gives them license to be more destructive, hence heightening your
frustration. First and foremost your students need to realize that
controlled behavior is of utmost importance, not their perception of what
the art room should be! The art experience becomes fun, because students
have developed intrinsic self-control, not teacher-led control through
"entertainment and pizazz!" I would keep your projects simple, but
interesting, using positive reinforcement through the "caught being good
system" Lots, and Lots of positive comments about kids with the good
behavior, and don't hesitate for a minute to quietly whisper into the kids
with the bad behavior that they will be doing some "time" with you during
their lunch or recess. Whispering in their ear is very powerful, because it
gets the point across, without making the other kids feel intimidated, plus
no kid that I have ever met likes when a teacher gets that close....it
violates their "space" and looks uncool!
I hope you think of something without increasing your frustration and
workload.
Kathy Tickner
Byron School District (near Bay Area, CA)