Re: 5th grade problems..any solutions?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Andrea Dunmire (artshui)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:46:51 EDT

>From: "Stephanie Ignazio" <smi>
>To: "artsed" <artsednet.edu>
>Subject: 5th grade problems..any solutions?
>Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:36:17 -0400
>
>Hi everyone. I am having what I like to call " A DAY ". Problem is one of
>my
>fifth grades. One class is super...well, not Super with a capital S...but
>can work in small groups, can listen to one another..most of the time,
>etc....the other is a handful, have really bad attitudes, waste lots of
>time
>and I am at a loss for what to do. I am thinking of taking the approach of
>bringing an interesting project to the table and seeing if the materials
>can
>motivate them. My thought is 3D...any interesting ideas out there...and
>please send me some "coping vibes" for now!!! thanks...stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

I use a behavior mod technique I picked up at a local arts conference. I was
not thrilled with the idea upon hearing it at the conference, but I had some
tough classes and thought I'd give it a try. It works wonderfully for the
most part.

This is the deal. I have made 7 x 8 1/2" cards onto which I have mounted a
reproduction. I then add text which states, "Art Award" at the top and then
next to the repro I've listed the title of the piece and the name of the
artist along with pertinent dates. Then I had them laminated.
I use them in several ways. When classes come in following a lesson
introduction the week before, I use them as rewards for the table that can
answer review questions about what what learned correctly. Each time a
student answers a question correctly, his/her table receives an Art Award.
Then, during class, I use them when I "catch" a table following my rules and
trying their best. Each time a rule is broken, I remove one of them from
the offending table.
At the end of class, after everything is cleaned up and the students are
waiting quietly for dismissal, I ask them to show me with their hands, how
many Art Awards their table has earned for the class.
I then award the table with the most by calling them to line up first and
giving each of them (and this was the part that I doubted) a sticker.
Sometimes a very small sticker. It is amazing to me how hard they will work
for one. Group pressure is used to quiet down noisy students and I often
hear, "You are breaking a rule, stop it", at the tables in an effort to earn
Art Awards.
The outlay is minimal for the stickers and it really works.
By the way, I teach 1-6, have 24 classes a week, about 600 students.

Hope this helps.

Andrea in Pa