Re: suspened students

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Inland Lakes Schools (acarolan.us)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:04:24 +0000

Dear Jennifer,
This money is an "At Risk" State and Federal grant which replaced the old
Title 1 and Title II programs. Some of it is spent on Reading programs they
now call "Chapter 1" or II but when the grants were presented they made all
kinds of suggestions: lowering class size, etc. etc. and each school writes
their own proposals. An At Risk committee is supposed to oversee the
distribution and usually the counselors are in on this to suggest programs
such as "time out" rooms. Violence prevention programs, Conflict Resolution,
of which a "time out" room is usually part of, and drug prevention are usually
funded through this grant. That's why I suggested the Counselor who has
usually heard about these programs. Johnson and Ford both have books out about
it and go around presenting to school. I'll try to find the title of the book
and programs or call Boyne City Schools or Charlevoix Schools. I know for sure
they've been trained and use this program. Also Traverse City. Rep may not
know about the At Risk dollars.

Perseverance will always win out over all else.
ann C.