RE: Drawing and Painting Software

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Hansgen, Nuit (nuit-center.org)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:16:05 -0400

If you are looking for low-cost, fairly easy to use software that has
the added benefit of having some web-graphics relevance, I suggest you
take a look at the Macromedia site-- they have a program for educators
called Web Design 101 at <
http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/edu/web101.html >; the
curriculum/program itself may not be useful to you, but it DOES give you
Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Freehand, and Director for installation
on up to 50 lab computers for 90 days. Fireworks is like Photoshop,
Freehand is like Illustrator-- and they are also, I think, available for
free 30-day downloads. You may want to check the Adobe site and see what
they have for freebies, trials, or at educational discount.

Don't know what age you are teaching, or if you want to use it for
yourself at first, but I can say that while the Adobe and Macromedia
products are great, the trade off is that they both have a big jump
between beginner and intermediate--but you will be teaching with what is
widely considered the industry standards, so the kids will be able to
apply their knowledge to the real world...

Hope that helps! More questions, give me a holler off-list.

All the best,

Nuit

Nuit Hansgen
ARTSEDGE
The National Arts and Education Information Network
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Washington, DC
202.416.8877
fax 202.416.8876
http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org