Re: How to Organize Your Art Room--Storage Facilities

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Andrea Dunmire (artshui)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:25:45 EDT

>From: Eliza Jones <ejones>
>To: artsednet-digest.edu
>Subject: How to Organize Your Art Room--Storage Facilities
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:50:39 -0400
>
> People with experience: What storage/organizational things do you
>think are essential? I moved from an art cart to an art room last week and
>am in the process of deciding what kinds of storage units to buy. I have
>shelves and tables. What's the best way to store 2d and 3d student work,
>markers, pencils, paper, tools? I have some ideas, but I'd love to hear
>what
>really works.
>
> Many, many thanks to all!
> Eliza

Hi Eliza,

I have a great system. I asked maintainance to hang two units in my room.
One is for holding class folders- student work in progress, and the other is
to hold work chosen for display and for teaching materials for current
lessons. They are constructed with three metal strips with the holes in
them to allow changes in shelf placement. (They had to mount strips of wood
to the wall first, into studs, to insure that it would hold.) The strips
are 6' long. Then I have hung 10 shelves, 18 1/2 x 32" each on them at
about even intervals. These are large enough to hold folders,
reproductions, and matted work.

For 3-d work, I purchased metal shelving from a used office supply store in
two different depths and I've spaced the shelves out to allow for different
sizes of work. The closer-spaced unit is by the kiln to hold clay pieces,
and there is a wider-spaced one to hold larger 3-d pieces.

Both work really well.

Hope this helps!

Andrea in Pa.