RE: talk quiet

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Eliza Jones (ejones)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:30:47 -0400

We have a "hands up signal" at our school that works pretty well. When
people are talking and the teacher needs to get their attention s/he will
raise her hand. Students are expected to put their hands up and be quiet
when they notice this is going on. Eventually the room is quiet and
everyone's hand is up. It takes a lot of reinforcement and consistency, esp
at first, but when combined with the resolve to WAIT until it actually IS
quiet before talking, it works.
Eliza

-----Original Message-----
From: Artemis420 [SMTP:Artemis420]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 1:10 AM
To: rlarson; paris
Cc: fromkinr; artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: talk quiet

In a message dated 10/25/99 6:36:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rlarson
writes:

I have been starting class with everyone in their seats....no
supplies. Same
> thing I did with the Middle school last year. I stand ....and
wait,
quietly for
> their attention. I originally explain that I will talk when they
are
quiet and
> when I am done talking they have the rest of class to do their
work and by
me
> waiting they are wasting their own studio time. I was teaching
in block
> scheduling last year and was worried what this "wait time" would
do to a
46 min.
> class period....but it keeps getting better! They actually seem
to get
more done
> than if I dont talk in the beginning.
>
> Today, the student who usually causes some of the biggest
distractions in
class
> saw my dramatic waiting...if there is such a thing. He decided
to draw
> attention to himself, as usual...but this time it helped me
because he
yelled,
> "Quiet everybody, Ms. Paris is trying to talk!!!!" Then he
turned his
attention
> on me. He got the attention and laughs and I GOT TO TALK!
>
> I truly do the "all pencils down and all eyes on me" if I have
something
> important to tell them in the middle of class. I think it works
because I
joke
> with them so much they dont feel offended by this elementary
school tactic.

> Oh...one more thing that can save a ton of headaches is counting
by
> five's...every five seconds of yours they waste they have to make
up at
the END
> of class...AFTER THE BELL! It works really well at clean up
time. If
they are
> ALL cleaned up and in their seats I count the seconds starting
before the
bell.
> And yes...the whole class waits. This gets them to tell each
other to stop
> talking.
>
> Again...not going to work for everyone, but it might for some....
>
> LM
>
> ricki fromkin wrote:
>
> > Donald Peters wrote:
> > >
> > > If you talk in a quiet voice, they
> > >
> > > I don't know where or who you teach, but if you are working
with
> > > minority/poverty students, this approach WILL NOT WORK. Trust
me.

> > Speaking of ideas of getting your students to listen and pay
> > attention...any suggestions on getting HS kids to be quiet.
Flipping
> > the light on and off helps, but was wondering what else some of
you
> > might be doing.
> >
> > Ricki

owner-artsednet using -f