those beautiful CDs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teri Brudnak (tbrudnak)
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 15:59:33 +0000

> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:02:00 -0700 (PDT)
> From: bkramer.us (Bunki Kramer)
> Subject: I need some unique CD ideas, please....
>
> Hi...The librarian sat down beside me in the fac. room Friday during lunch
> and surprised me with this...."I receive a ton of CD's sent to me which
> I've been throwing away. Do you think you and the art students could make
> something out of them?" I popped back with...."Sure!"...but my brain gears
> remain locked. My first thought was giant earrings...ha. I'm stumbling
> around clueless and I know several of you on the list could come up with
> something wild and unique. All I can come up with are sculptures or mobiles
> which would probably all look alike with my mid. schoolers. I would be
> eternally grateful for any help here. Thanks! Toodles.....
>
> Bunki Kramer - Los Cerros Middle School
> 968 Blemer Rd., Danville, California 94526
> bkramer.ca.us...(sch)925-552-5620
>
> ----------------------

Bunki,
I have been thinking about this too. I get a lot of CDs in the
mail...especially those that offer internet services. I have been saving
them for some kind of construction--or garment.Remeber the actress at
the Oscars in the dress made from American Express Gold Cards?? I have
been thinking about sewing them into clear vinyl sheet to make carring
bags--very cool. Or same technique could be used for a hip shower
curtain--buy a clear shower curtain and sew or glue them on. What kind
of glue?--I think they make a vinyl cement--but I haven't used it. Home
furnishings--drill four holes in them on opposite ends, tie together
with fishing line to create curtains or room dividers. Stacking them--a
neat lamp base with a hole for lamp parts to thread through. You could
have a design contest--see magazines like I.D. Cutting them--I would use
a band saw--don't know about the fumes they would give off from cutting.
I have broken them with hammers for mosaic chips.The best thing about
the grooves is the diffraction effect--rainbows of colors--you could
talk to students about that.
My favorite recycler of such stuff is a company in L.A. CA. called
Syndecrete. They fill concrete with anything from golf tees to scrap
glass and use in it architectual settings. Maybe they have a website.
Let us all know what you think up--sounds like lots of fun!!!
Teri Brudnak
Corona del Mar High School Art Dept.
Newport Beach, CA