Re: suspended students

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 00:26:33 -0700

ricki fromkin wrote:

> > It's the policy in our school that students returning from
> > suspension do not get makeup work, except at the teacher's
> > discretion. We also instituted a much stricter attendance policy
> > last year that has worked: a student who gets six absences,
> > whether excused or unexcused, in a grading period are removed
> > from the class and placed in study hall, which, as our V.P. tells
> > them, is essentially a babysitting facility. <snip>
> > Maggie
>
> And after they're placed in the study hall what happens? Who's the
> lucky one who gets to baby sit? What happens if they miss 6 study
> halls? I don't mean to sound sarcastic, I just don't see how this
> remedies the problem.
>
> Ricki

Ricki,

I understand perfectly your concerns; I'm not offended. The
babysitter is a classified staff member. She makes an effort to
give them reading assignments if they don't bring classwork to
work on.

Y'know, I don't _know_ what the consequences are if they miss six
study halls; I have a hunch it's nothing. All I know is, they
are out of my class and no longer disrupting it, nor wasting my
time trying to get them caught up. Yes, I know this sounds quite
harsh, but we've been fighting a community that really doesn't
value education very much. We've turned 180 degrees from trying
everything to reach these kids (and their parents) who have so
little regard for education to concentrating on the 80% who _are_
coming, and are making an effort to do the right thing. The
downside is that as of Monday, the start of a new grading period,
they are back in class again, somewhat clueless about what's
going on. Some will have made the decision that study hall is
BOOORRRINNNG and being in class is far superior (which is, after
all, what we're hoping for). Others will continue to miss class.

If I think too much about it, it really goes against my education
as a teacher, like I'm giving up on them. But then, I have to
consider those students who are trying to do right. So, study
hall doesn't necessarily remedy the absentees' problems, but
frees me to concentrate on the ones who are there to learn.

Maggie