Re: firing kiln

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
LynnMarie Paris (paris)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 21:38:17 -0400

I had a heat detector in a kiln room and the same thing happened anyway...It
went off 10 minutes after I left school that evening. The fire trucks and
everyone came rolling in and I heard about it the next day. They also had to
replace the heat detector the next day...I think they are only good for one
"incident".

If they install a heat detector by your kiln be sure they do not to it directly,
or even diagonally, above the kiln. I had BRAND NEW classroom (2 years old)
with ventilation and kiln room built into the plans. It was not fool proof
either. However, a heat detector would most likely be better.

The part I found ironic is that after the detector went off they wanted my to
prop my door to the kiln room open while I was firing so the heat would not
build up in the room. I thought the whole purpose of having a door that shut
automatically to the kiln room was to keep both fire and fumes in the room.
There was a larger hood for the fan sitting in the closet for 2 1/2 years that
they kept saying they would put on...wouldnt it have made more sense to put the
proper hood on so the ventilation would work better? Oh well....

Good luck.

LM