Re: My First Official Observation (long)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jasmine Preston (jdp30)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:53:04 -0500

My first year of teaching elementary school, the principal came by when I
was teaching a lesson on Matisse. I had a class of 4th graders making
cut-outs and putting them on the bulletin board. They were working as a
group, discussing their composition, moving around, stapling, cutting, etc.
It was a great lesson. She called me in to her office the next day and
told me about all the mistakes I was making. The students were out of
control. In a well-run classroom all student movement should be
"teacher-directed." Teacher-directed in an ART class? I was flabbergasted.
I tried to explain to her but she had her mind made up. She had made
arrangements for me to go to another school to watch another art
teacher--one she had a lot of respect for, so I could see how it "should"
be done. I was very upset but, went because I had no choice. It turned
out to be a great time. The teacher had a lot of great ideas but I didn't
think she had very good control. Certainty not all activities were
"teacher-directed." As a matter of fact, she agreed that the principal,
her was her friend and neighbor, didn't know what she was talking about.
After my visit, she talked with the principal. I don't know what she said
but, all of the sudden I knew what I was doing. My lessons were never
questioned again.

The point of this long message is, endure and compromise when you have to
but, keep an eye out for an advocate. Not some one to complain to, but
someone who thinks like you do and already has the respect of the
principal. You may, over time, get to do things the way you think they
should be done.

Good luck.

Jasmine
jdp30