Re: Need elementary ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rick (rlarson)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:21:54 -0500

I've no room in my art room to store portfolios. I have the kids roll them up
and offer masking tape to them. If it's chalk or pastels, I remind them to ask
mom to put some hairspray on it to keep it more intact. I'm on a 'no frills'
budget. I tell them to slide it in the side of their backpack or carry it
carefully. I encourage them to ask for a ride home from school if they're
worried about something getting home. It brought to mind the Chihuli ice
sculpture which was meant to melt as part of the art. I would love to hear
ideas for art that kids could do that would be significant, yet temporary.
Something other than Christo
When I worked in another system, and had a great budget, everything went home
mounted in some way or another. I found that they kept the work longer ( years)
if it was mounted, even on just construction paper. I'm rambling.. sorry...
Betsy.

Stephanie Ignazio wrote:

> hi everyone! I am in need of some words of wisdom from all of you. How do
> you handle sending the kids artwork home? In past years it has just worked
> for me to just give it to the kids as they walk out the door...but that just
> doesn't seem right...I am afraid of it getting sqoooshed in the backpack. A
> few days ago I was approached by a teacher who told me that just sending it
> with them wasn't "working" and how the last teacher did it (rolled it up or
> used a portfolio system) but I tried that and it took forever. I was
> thinking of making up some xerox name tags that I could roll around it and
> then stick on the elastic with a catchy phrase on it like "artwork created
> by ---------" but do you thik its worth the time? I know..I know...there are
> bigger issues out there...and yes, I have those too...but this is really
> bugging the buggers out of me. You know...new school...new expectations, new
> stress-level, basically trying to be 'Super teacher"!
>
> Second thing : I would really appreciate any 2nd grade painting lessons you
> might like to share. i did this fun one with them today..they have partners
> and play "simon says" with line and warm / cool colors, they switch off
> being the leader and work in opposite corners...they are beautiful and they
> really understood the concept.
>
> Thanks! Stephanie

  • Reply: Ginny_Rockwood: "Re: Re: Need elementary ideas"