RE: dymistifying art...and spirit..and stuff

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:27:58 -0400

I have to agree with you, Artie. I have actually had students tell me I
was making their brains hurt, making them think too much, etc. (My
response, of course, is always, "Good!") I attribute much of this
problem to the fact that they have had instant visualization of
everything with tv, computers, and video games. Their eye-hand
coordination may have improved, but their imaginations sure haven't. I
explain to them that creating a work of art is a problem solving process
similar to what they encounter in math or science, but they still don't
think much. I get asked all the time specific questions on what they
should do. I throw it back at them with "That's your problem" after
explaining that I am not being flippant, but that as an artist that is a
decision for them to make. I get so tired of hearing "This is too hard!"