Re: hopelessness (was: 2-pt. perspective)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 07:21:21 -0700

"Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI" wrote:

> > Maybe it'll get someone to think. *sigh*
>
> I was talking a few weeks ago with one of the diploma-ed, and most likely
> certified attendants at the detention home I'm contracted to work at with
> the youth. He made the comment that about the 'therapy program' which
> seemed to work with the highest rate of success was...simply...age.
> Eventually, they grow out of it. <snip>
> Our charge, for all of us who are concerned, are parents, citizens,
> community leaders, is to help them to avoid trouble and deal constructively
> with problems so they can get through this stage without getting in too
> deep.
>
> Larry

I agree! I bet if we take a look at all these former students
who we felt so helpless to help, we'll find that most of them
have gotten back on track. That's why I always tell them that
there _is_ a life after HS. And it can be a good life--I speak
from experience--if they will just take control and make it so.

Here on the rez extended families are very important, and the
kids can often find an aunt or grandparent or clan member who can
take them in if home is too chaotic. Just getting out of the
home situation can improve their whole outlook tremedously. It's
like they can finally concentrate on Life.

Maggie