life-size sculptures...another method...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:19:09 -0700 (PDT)

>"Michelle H. Harrell" wrote:
> Has anyone out there in
>> cyberland done life size sculptures before? Any suggestions?
*****************

About 15 yrs. ago my partner and I used to sell appliqued
sweatshirts...original appliques. (We also did men's painted underwear but
that's another story.) For our "dummy" models (besides us, ha!), we made
some really neat, cheap forms to display our sweatshirts. My partner would
put on an old T-shirt and I would wrap her toso from hip to chin with that
heavy mailing tape which you have to wet to make sticky. I'd wrap her body
with tape right over the t-shirt. Took about an hr. or less to dry
depending on the weather. To remove once it dried, I would cut the sides
right through the t-shirt. After removing, let it dry completely. Next day
I would tape it together at the seams and paper mache over it with
newspaper and liquid starch. They were extremely light and very, very
strong. My partner "did" her husband too for the underwear "dummy". All the
forms looked pretty professional...if I do say so myself. Can't beat the
price of it all either! Toodles........

Bunki Kramer - Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Rd., Danville, California 94526
bkramer.ca.us...(sch)925-552-5620