Re: suspended students

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:37:07 -0700

Aaron and Jennifer wrote:

> It is crazy. These kids get suspended and then come back into the
> classroom. They do the same stupid thing(s) and get sent right back out. It
> makes lesson planning hard especially since I want to start a group project
> soon. I have a class of about 20 students. Never do I see all these students
> at the same time. I am lucky if I get at least 10. That's a good day for
> attendance. (and only for attendance)

It's the policy in our school that students returning from
suspension do not get makeup work, except at the teacher's
discretion. We also instituted a much stricter attendance policy
last year that has worked: a student who gets six absences,
whether excused or unexcused, in a grading period are removed
from the class and placed in study hall, which, as our V.P. tells
them, is essentially a babysitting facility. This year our
attendance is averaging in the low 90s; last week it was 98%,
which is probably a record. It takes a very strong
administration and a school board with backbone to make a
difference like this.

Maggie