Handing back elementary artwork

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:09:12 -0400

Hi Stephanie --
I agree, this is a matter worthy of consideration -- I never liked it when
my own kids wouldn't bring home their artwork because the teacher saved it
all for an end of the year show. I want the kids at my school to be able
to bring their stuff home soon after making it so they can remember what it
was about and feel the pride as they share it at home (well, in a perfect
world, anyway, the parents would be appreciative...)
But I do send it home with the kids -- either as they leave the art room if
the work isn't wet, or I put it in the teacher's mailboxes the next day if
it fits (if not, I hand-deliver it). There really are not very many
teachers who complain about handing back the stuff (unless it's smudgy or
something) -- but I always enclose a brief note on the class folder about
what the assignment was (a little art advocacy) and a thank you to them for
handing them out. They have a lot more time to do that then we do.
Communication is the key, though -- you may want to ask for input from all
the teachers about their suggestions (do you have cc:mail?) and go from
there. Hope you're enjoying not being on a cart anymore!
Liz in rural NY

> From: Stephanie Ignazio <smi>
>
> hi everyone! I am in need of some words of wisdom from all of you. How do
> you handle sending the kids artwork home?
. A