Re: Diversity.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 06:45:43 -0700

Pablo90512 wrote:

> The discussion of intolerance always brings lots of input.
> We all could do with sensitivity training...I had a kid tell me I was going
> to go to hell because I was from the North....It wasn't at all uncommon for
> the teachers to bash that part of the country at the lunch table. I was
> young and it was difficult to spill the beans..When I finally told them..they
> couldn't believe it...most had never been out of the state let alone actually
> knowing one.
>
> We all had a good laugh....and became friends!
> Laurie

This is the way I grew up! All my childhood I heard about
"Yankee this" and "Yankee that;" "Save your Confederate money,
boys, the South will rise again;" we couldn't have or do certain
things because it was "Yankee stuff." My father told me the
South won the war (didn't have to ask which war; I just _knew_).
I got quite testy with my third grade teacher when she tried to
insist the North had won.

Imagine my horror when I found out that my father's father was
from upstate NY. My legendary paternal grandmother, daughter of
a Confederate colonel, archetypal Southern belle, had married a
Yankee! Or, as she introduced him to her parents, "a gentleman
from the North."

The shame of Yankee blood coursing through my veins forced me to
move to AZ ;) You'll be happy to know I've pretty much gotten
over it, though I still find it hard to believe that people serve
potatoes instead of rice with their Thanksgiving and Christmas
dinners.

Maggie