Re: life-size sculptures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Joseph Augusta (jaugusta)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 07:13:27 -0400

"Michelle H. Harrell" wrote:

> I've bought a
> huge roll of chicken wire and tons of plaster gauze. I thought we'd make an
> armature of the wire and cast our body parts. Has anyone out there in
> cyberland done life size sculptures before? Any suggestions?

You're mixing up two building methods here--won't work. To build sculptures
from wire--you'll need to make a strong armature (like an internal skeleton)
for the figure--usually from iron pipe--then build up the form with the wire,
apply burlap soaked in plaster around the wire and finish up. The second way
is to do hollow core body casting with your plaster gauze--have the students
wear clothing that will be thrown away--and then have them wrap each other up
like mummies!

More fun this way--results should be more realistic--somewhere there's a lesson
from George Segal who rose to fame with this method of casting.

Best wishes,
Joseph