Re: Assessment

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
LynnMarie Paris (paris)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:43:44 -0400

I have done pre and post tests. When I was new in a school district I
gave a pre-test which skimmed various topics to see what they already
knew. I found out they did not even know the color wheel.

However, at the end of the quarter I gave them exactly the same test
back again and they breezed right through it....no problem! It was a
big ego boost for all of us! It showed them how much they really had
learned in ten weeks.

One of my much more simple pre-tests listed words that related to all
different media: clay, drawing, painting and a Question mark box. They
were to simply rewrite the word in the category it related to and if
they did not know then write it in the question mark box. This was not
going to be graded, so I encouraged them not to guess if they truly had
no idea. I also stressed the fact that if they did not know it I wanted
to be sure I taught it very thoroughly so they would know it for their
final. However, if they already knew it I did not want to bore them
with lengthy explanations, but rather I would do a quickly review. This
seemed to get through to them and they answered honestly ( I think) !

LM