Re: texture answers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:36:24 -0700

Lon Nuell wrote:

> Rubbings are fine, but they are visual and generally children cannot bring in
> the objects used. Try collecting or having them collect textured materials
> and once enough are on hand use them to create texture designs and collect a
> rubbing off of the designed surface. Have them order textures from rough to
> smooth in a gradient design. Hve them identify textural qualities and them
> select represednttive ones from a box of materials you've gathered.

One of the neat things about gathering rubbings is that they can
be done on many surfaces already present in the classroom or
around the school (if you're brave enough to set loose lots of
kids armed with charcoal sticks ;) ). Neither the teacher nor
the students need to bring anything in just for making rubbings.
Just experimenting with "found" surfaces will open their eyes to
the possibilities.

Maggie