Re: 10-min. art lesson for PARENTS on Sat.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sharon Hause (smhause)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:26:14 PDT

I too had a parents night recently where I was to stand before all the 6th
grade parents and explain my curriculum, schedule, grading procedure, etc.
etc. etc. Anyway I had the most important ideas on an overhead and talked
as they could read "the rules" (I hate being read to) Then I put up a
transparenacy or Grant Woods, "American Gothic" (I live in the Midwest) and
had a group critique. Then I put up Pablo Picasso's "Sylvette" and did a
group critique and did some comparing and contrasting. They loved it. I
ended up asking simple questions like, "Which painting if you had the choice
would you hang up in your home, and "Which artist do you admire more," etc.
It was fun and they got to see some of the things we do and think in the
classroom, other than creating a final product.