Re: Art Elements

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sharon Hause (smhause)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:19:23 PDT

In my middle school, I follow the elements and principles of design for
every project. Then I throw in either an artist or movement, a new material
and you have a lesson that incorporates the elements, art history and
aesthetic and/or criticism. They love to discuss and look and explore the
possibilities. I fill the room with prints, quotes, words, to view as they

>From: Maggie White <mwhite>
>Subject: Re: Art Elements
>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:21:40 -0700
>Betty Bowen wrote:
> >
> > No, there isn't a cross-cultural agreed upon list of the elements of
> > These lists refer only to the convenient categorizing of some of the
> > concerns of traditional 2D and 3D art, and while useful in describing
> > objects, I don't believe they are all that useful any more (if they ever
> > were) in learning to make art itself.
>I agree! I've never thought it made much sense to meticulously
>teach each element discretely in a studio-type class; the
>students will learn more as the elements are incorporated into
>their assignments.

Get Your Private, Free Email at