RE: texture answers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
D Sterner (dsterner)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:40:05 -0400

Although my classes are small in special education (6:1:1) I make
cardboard squares and glue various textures to the surface to cover all the
cardboard. I have 12 different things from bingo chips, paperclips,
sandpaper (a variety of grains) and dried glue (clumps and lines). I make
a game of touching and feeling with eyes closed and the children get a kick
out of guessing what they are feeling. It gets a bit silly, but it serves
to make the point about texture. We do a quick activity of various crayon
rubbings, then apply what we learned in a composed picture that includes a
theme. The theme can be as simple as a type of picture: landscape, still
life, portrait. Children are successful when they include texture (a
rubbed area) in their picture. I also have on hand various reproductions
from artists and the kids really go to work. I am always amazed with their
comments and inventions, like the girl who textured the cordouroy pants in
her portrait.

Maybe this can be a springboard for someone's texture lesson. I plan to
use Ellen's (Sears) contribution next week incorporating the work of water
colorist Charles Burchfield. It's a stretch from his real style, but the
kids are exposed to another technique and yet another artist and most of
all - a fun activity that includes application of new knowledge!

I struggle all the time to find new ways to teach my (learning and
behavioral disorder) students real art concepts, especially when the
administration wants to see crafty things. Don't you hate that attitude
about what art class should be?

Oh my! I better get off my soap box before someone pushes me off!
~~~giggle~~~

-=deb=-
see my little CHERUBS at http://www.geocities.com/got2teach