Re: Poster contests, another view

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lon Nuell (lrnuell)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:04:00 -0500

Re Poster Contests: While the contests can be troublesome, they do offer the
possibility for meaningful learning to take place. Rather than waste time and
energy fighting the trend, try to 1) establish a policy that will limit the
number of contests your students will undertake in a year 2) use the contest to
do your teaching in meaningful way - allow the children to make their posters,
but based on what you teach them while using new knowledge and skills. Needless
to say you will have to adjust your teaching a bit, but the learning
opportunities abound in this approach. What a great way to introduce Lautrec,
Swiss graphic design (related to posters, and contemporary graphic design that
inundates the children on a daily basis.