Re: Poster contests, another view

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:46:52 -0700

AbeleSmith wrote:

> Our city has a zillion poster contests (cheap and easy way to get free
> designs!), and the usual ones coming from everywhere else could fill a whole
> year of art classes.

This is a really important point, and one that would make a good
argument against doing poster contests: nearly every contest
states that the artwork becomes the property of the sponsoring
agency, to do with as they please. It's a form of exploitation,
in my opinion. I doubt AAA or MADD or whoever has dishonorable
motives, but they're still getting their designs for free.

Maggie