Re: incentives

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:40:59 -0700

ricki fromkin wrote:

> As a new teacher I was wondering if it was totally against the rules to
> offer incentives to poor behaving, and performing students. I mean
> incentives such as material things like sports tickets, etc.? I don't
> want to bribe students or anything, but my classes are full of troubled
> kids from lower socio-economic area.
>
> Just curious.
> Ricki

Ricki,

I have no problem with bribes, though sports tickets sound rather
excessive. You need to find a way to get them motivated to the
point they don't need the bribes anymore (a lot like training a
puppy!). You don't say what age they are, but keep it simple. A
big motivator in my class is pass privileges; if they aren't
making a C or better, they don't get to use the pass. You do
have to be a careful about not making too big of a show with
handing out prizes for working; sometimes it can backfire and
become almost a pride thing to _not_ get one. I think a quiet,
individual presentation works best.

Maggie