Re: Bilingual Art material?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:08:28 -0500

We start state mandated testing tomorrow. As the art teacher I am
assigned the
14 totally non-English students to do something "artsie" with them. The
ones with
some english skills will be tested by the esl and spanish teachers. But
that is ok
with me because I plan to have them paint a stage set. We will have a ball.
Woody in KC

John & Sandra Barrick wrote:
> laura klein wrote:
> > I am writing to find out if anyone has any material for a monoligual Spanish
> > speaking student who is in 7th grade art? I am not bilingual, obviously,
> > and I teach Art at Taos Middle School, Taos, N.M.. I am having trouble
> > explaining projects to this student...
> > I would like material that is in English as well as Spanish!
> > Please Help!
> > Laura J. Klein
> Have you tried the translation links? We've posted them before I
> could look on me web site file if someone doesn't post it. YOu might
> type an email and see if you can translate it over the internet. But
> my question is, being in New Mexico- wouldn't the school have to
> have translators, or isn't it bilingual anyway? Perhaps you can use
> a classmate to translate for you. I thought it was mandatory to work
> in places like CA, NM, Ariz., Texas and Fl, to be fluent in Spanish
> or is that just a misconception? Really I guess I'm thinking of
> student population,it would be better to be bilingual. That's great
> your thinking of your student and how to help him. Keep up the good
> work. If all else fails get a dictionary and translate a few words.
> Perhaps a few tools, material etc. and write on board. He should
> learn English> and I am saying this without Bias, since my Mother,
> who is full Mexican, was against us learning Spanish and speaking at
> home in spanish. A little thing about being in America and speaking
> the language here. (By the way her first language is Spanish and she
> didn't learn English until she went to school and then skipped a
> grade.)
> Sandra
> astroboy

the new URL for school is