Re: What ARE the Elements of Art/Design?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 06:29:33 -0500

Elements of Design:

point and line, shape, mass, space, color (including value, hue, and
intensity), texture, time, light and movement.

methods of creating the illusion of space include:

1.) descriptive line (thick and thin can suggest the contour of a volume),
2.) modeling (shade and shadow),
3.) overlap, vertical placement (lower=closer, higher=farther),
4.) relative size(larger=closer, smaller=farther),
5.) linear perspective (one, two, three or multiple point),
6.) atmospheric perspective,
7.) the perspective of color (warm advances, cool receeds and individual
hues seek a relative position of depth in relation to the hue, value and
intensity of their neighbors.

hope this helps,

Bob