Re: glaze question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Tom Johnsen (koordt)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:00:03 -0700

gregjuli wrote:

> I've had the same problem for years! I did everthing I could think of, plus what the kiln
> repair guy told me and it still flaked off. This year has been the worse. I bought new kiln
> wash thinking maybe the other stuff was old. So this week I'm going to try the new batch.
> Wish me luck!
> MaryB

I've been having the phenomenal luck of the ignorant. My experience with
kiln wash is that the furniture should be a little wet before you apply
it, apply it in thin coats, allowing it to dry between coats. The wash
shouldn't be too thin, but avoid a cakey flow. The point is the thicker
and wetter it is the more like cracking will occur--top drying faster
than the bottom. If I think about it, I sometime spritz the dry top
layer before laying on the next coat. How many coats? three to four.
Tom