Re: rain sticks....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
dj (djash)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:47:41 -0400

RAINSTICKS

The Legend: Somewhere in South America, before the birth of Christ, rainsticks
were played to remind the spirits that rains from the heavens were welcomed.
Handmade rainsticks serenade the gods of the Diaguitas, a native Chilean
people. Today, as it was done centuries ago from the windswept hillsides
beneath the Andes, craftsman with burros collect dead and dried cactus which
might otherwise be used for firewood. The thorns are then pressed into these
hollow shafts. Pebbles cascading over the thorns create the water sound of
this ancient instrument, which is still heard in the music of the Andes.

Painted Rainsticks: Village artisans will embellish their mystical creations.
They paint with colors and whimsy,
borrowing old designs from their own neighboring cultures. Occasionally the
artists invent new patterns and pictures. Curiously, rainsticks with a
distinctive African flair sometimes appear. Whether South American,
Southwestern or South African, the painted rainstick is an intriguing and
musical decorating accessory that honors the believes and artistic endeavors
of an ancient culture.

I did rainsticks with my hs kids last year. They sounded great and looked
fantastic. Hope the above helps. Your lucky to have the cardboard source! Good
luck.
Donna