Re: literacy and art education

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Aaron and Jennifer (THEGREEN99)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:34:36 -0400

Having my students write out their critiques has opened a line of
communication between them and myself. My students are not ready for oral
critiques, but I still want them to reflect on their work.
I don't really have my students write out their project ideas overall.
However, for projects which are labor intensive and require many steps, I
most definitely do, especially for independent study projects. I would like
to think that this helps the students. But it helps me, too, to remember
what the original idea started as. I never hold a student completely to what
he or she sets out to do. I like to see the growth from the original idea to
final product. I always make the student answer for the adjustments, but
having the original idea on paper always helps.
I hope this helps you.

Jennifer in Michigan
-----Original Message-----
From: Christine Colera <cmcolera>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Sunday, October 10, 1999 3:09 PM
Subject: literacy and art education

>I am a new subscriber and a first semester student teacher in San Diego. I
am taking a reading methods class and have to write an I-Search paper. I
have a question that I could use some personal reflections and examples for.
Here is my question -

>In the art classroom, do teachers find it more effective to have students
formally write their brainstormings, possible assignment directions,
intentions and personal critiques? Do these written descriptions and
analysis help the students to perform better, create more thoughtful works
or can it inhibit other important creativity? Does this format work good
for all students and should it be exercised in every assignment or is it
something to only be used selectively?

>Please if you have any suggestions or other book, journal, etc. references,
it would be grand. I can't wait to become an active member. Thanks.